Thursday, February 28, 2008

Retail Therapy Makes the News

The AP is reporting something they somehow think is newsworthy, that "Sad, Self-absorbed shoppers spend more."

My first reaction was incredibly childish, a big fat DUH.
Have they never heard the term "retail therapy"? 4 universities participated in a study of how sadness changes people's buying habits, it's a cool experiment, except I think they would have gotten way better results if they dangled something better than a water bottle in front of people. I am literally a professional shopper and I cannot imagine being satisfied with the purchase of a waterbottle. Although, now that I think about it, I was really excited when I bought my cool and pretty aluminum Sigg bottle to replace the apparently dangerous Nalgene bottles.

I do however, totally take offense at how they portray personal shoppers in the article. They claim we "prowl the aisles for others" who look blue, because they spend more. I guess this refers to personal shoppers employed by department stores but I don't care - it's a gross statement.

You can read the whole thing here.

No comments: