Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Shlumpadinka?

I come from Chicago which could be more accurately described as the Land of Oprah than the Land of Lincoln these days. My mother and pretty much everyone else loves her, so this morning I watched when my mom told me I had to - Oprah had a stylist on, Lloyd Boston, and they styled a neighborhood of suburban (are there actually neighborhoods in suburbs?) stay-at-home-moms.

It was a nice show, very funny, the women agreed with everything he did -who wouldn't - he made them stop wearing sweatsuits and start wearing real clothes and real shoes. He gave his list of 10 things every woman should have in their closet and while a good list (black trousers, trench coat, etc) I'm still trying to figure out what makes his list different from Tim Gunn's. In other words, it wasn't earth shattering, but unlike those other makeover shows, he and his shlumpadinka (a real Yiddish word I'm told by my mother - but Oprah never actually explained that to the audience) group bought everything (or was given?) at J.C. Penney, so the pants were all under $50, the bags were cute but affordable, all-in-all, a fun show.

They also had another stylist, a woman, espousing the magic of the Brooks Brothers non-iron white shirt.

You can check out clips from the show, and plenty of before and after shots on the Oprah website.

No comments: