Sunday, February 3, 2008

We've Come a Long Way Baby, Or Have We?

I have been reading Vogue since I was 9, or at least that is the earliest I specifically remember reading it. So I can tell you things have changed recently(like maybe the past 10-15 years) - Paris and Milan no longer have the only serious fashion shows, New York has taken the spotlight in a big way and American designers are no longer only producing equestrian inspired clothes like Ralph Lauren in the old days.

Although some things look really familiar, like Herve Leger bandage dresses which I have loved since the OG of supermodels sported them in the '80's (Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, think the cast of that George Michael video circa 1989-90), Max Azria of BCBG -bought the line and the show went on this morning. Lately PYT's of Hollywood have been seen wearing the dresses again. Since Herve Leger was actually a man's name, when his name and brand were purchased, he had to change his name. That is pretty F-ed up. You can read a review of the show here, and find out Herve's new name.
I love this red dress:
This dress however gives me pause:

gives me pause and makes me think "WTF?"


Max Azria's other line, BCBG also showed this weekend, in what I can only describe as a colorless color palette, I guess he interprets the new trend towards the 'non-showy' for the shrinking economy as we should all look sallow and starving in khaki, although the shapes of the clothes were beautiful, like this one:



Alexander Wang showed clothes all in a range of black and gray, The pieces are great, but for some reason the models walked with ripped pantyhose - he calls it 'edgy', I say its tired like grunge, anyway, ignore the stockings and enjoy the clothes like this fantastic skirt:

or this belted cardigan/dress:

No comments: